Sunday, August 3, 2008

US visa myths exposed!

well lot of students have the fear of getting their visa rejected. This is partly due to lack of information and partly due lack of proper preparation. It is always better to have a visa counselor before planning to attend the interview. It should be a professional counselor. Some of the myths of US student visa are discussed below.




Is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) applicable for F-1 visa?

Yes, the SEVIS is applicable to F-1 visa holders. This system monitors the status of persons who enter the U.S. with an F, M or J visa. In order for students or exchange visitors and their dependents to qualify for an F, M or J visa, the school or exchange program in the U.S. must issue a Certificate of Student Status (I-20) or Certificate of Exchange Visitor Status (DS-2019) on a SEVIS-generated form and must register each person on the SEVIS website. Each applicant must submit a SEVIS-generated I-20 or DS-2019 with a unique barcode number and must be listed on the SEVIS website.


Do I have to take tests such as TOEFL, SAT, GRE and GMAT to obtain a student visa?

Applicants are generally not required to take any particular tests to qualify for a visa. However, we note that motivated and serious student visa applicants often take such tests when seeking admission to schools in the U.S. The fact that a student has taken one or more of these tests may help show the seriousness of the applicant's study plans.


What can I do if my visa request is denied?

If your visa application is denied, before you leave the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, obtain an explanation of the specific reason you are denied the visa and ask about re-application procedures. Also, try to obtain the full name of the officer who interviewed you, as well as her or his fax number. The International Student and Scholar Office may be able to help you, if you can provide this information.


In what situations can my F-1 visa be denied?

Your F-1 visa application may be denied if:

• You intend to make an application in a 'third country' (e.g., you are from P.R. China, but you intend to go to Canada to obtain an F-1 visa)
• This is your first application for an F-1 visa
• You are returning home after a long stay in the U.S. (Three or more years)
• There is a serious political or economic crisis in your home country
• You are engaged in practical training after the completion of your academic program
• You have limited time to obtain your visa. (Your visit will only be for a short period of time)
• You are waiting for the results of an application for permanent residency (immigrant status) or you are married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident


What documents will prove my intent to return to my home country after the completion of my studies?

While there is no set documentation to indicate your intent to return to your home country, your application for an F-1 visa will more likely be approved if you maintain closer ties to your home country than to the U.S. which can be shown in the following ways:

• Your immediate family members reside in your
home country
• You own property and or maintain a bank account in your home country
• The likelihood of employment at home in your field of study after you complete your degree is great. (Provide evidence of job searches or interviews you have done)
• You have made frequent visits home (every year or 18 months)
• You have maintained membership in cultural organizations at home while you have studied in the U.S.
• You have maintained important social ties in your home country


What if my F-1 visa expires while I am in the U.S.?

Your F-1 visa does not determine how long you may stay in the U.S. You need not be concerned about the expiration of your F-1 unless you decide to leave the U.S. for a short visit abroad prior to completing your studies. Before you re-enter the U.S., you will need to make sure you have a valid US student visa. The F-1 visa itself (unlike your F-1 status) is only important at the port of entry to the U.S.


MS in US:GRE,TOEFL,F1 VISA,Graduate Schools,Admission, H1b Visa, Immigration, Application